Sunday 27 April 2008

India 17 - Agra, Taj Mahal


I was in Agra 3 days instead of two - reason being the journey was so horrendous - it took 15hrs instead of the badly estimated 9hrs and I was exhausted from the heat! I have stayed at the Hilton which is a nice little oasis, but another culture shock for me after the laid back ashram life. Anyway I got out to the evening Taj and took some pics from the gardens behind and from the bank.

I think I could have got some better pics but the prime spot was already occupied by a dead dog being eaten by a live dog and winged friends. Next door to the Taj is the crematorium (very busy) where the ashes are swept from the steps into the river -


the river is apparently miles better in the monsoon but at this time of year is a bit of a parched sandbank.


So I was at the Taj gates 6am, ready for the morning pics. The queue was quite small really and I have to tell you that I accidentally stepped out of women’s line into the men’s which caused me to be scolded by a shockingly half-naked European for ‘pushing in’ who then went on to tell me in a loud voice that I might be in India but didn’t have to behave like one!!! (er, given the choice…)
But oh, it is true, the Taj Mahal is absolutely stunning, if it wasn’t so hot I would have spent the entire day just sitting and looking at it. The colours of the inlay, beauty of the marble and fabulous workmanship really do have to be seen and touched to be appreciated. No photos allowed on the inside tombs by the way.

This amazing building just works for me, there just seems to be a unique fusion between subject and object that has to be experienced - it is beeeeeeautiful, really lifted me up! Apparently as the day gets white hot the Taj just about disappears in the shimmering whiteness.


I didn’t sit in the Princess Di seat - although tempted, a nice Aussie took a snap of me though.


And by the way, despite the stories of Shah Jahan building this marvel for his wife and dying of a broken heart, my guide book says in fact he died after days of indulgence in a sex and drugs orgy (with his daughter by his side of course). Hurruh, I love India!

No comments: