Saturday 9 February 2008

A couple of Pushkar stories

The hotel was an empty, overpriced marble pile, I would get a room in Pushkar if I came back, lots of atmosphere. I had a laugh at a couple of stories I heard - there are signs all over the ghats with rules about not embracing/no nudity/ no shoes/& more. A few years ago, a couple of Israelis thought it would be romantic to get married on a ghat and arranged for one of the priests to marry them. At the end of the ceremony they kissed and it caused so much of a commotion, some of the priests complained to the authorities and the couple were arrested and after a 2 day trial were sent to prison for 5 days and fined 20k rupees.


Which is nothing compared to the Scandinavian woman who while on a ghat at sunrise was told by a priest that bathing in the lake would lessen her karma. She promptly stripped naked and caused such a massive crowd that she couldn’t get to her clothes and streaked through the streets back to her hotel… 5 days trial, 10 days in jail and a 40k rupee fine… Mr Kumar has been phoning to see if I am ok and asked if I’d been on the hashish! I said ‘certainly not’ in my most uppity English accent.

No comments: