Monday 3 March 2008

India 9 - Kerala, Fort Kochi

I booked a 3 hour flight from Delhi to Kochi with Spicejet which only cost £50. Back into the tropics for me! I am staying at Fort House Hotel which is on the harbour. Sunday here is like a family outing in the evening, everyone in bright colours having a paddle down by the huge Chinese fishing nets.

Fort Kochi is pretty small, and for some reason smells like the Norfolk Broads. I can’t imagine what people do here when they stay for 2 weeks holiday. I went round and did all the sights with my rickshaw guide first day, it is all very Christian with an Indian slant - the statues and pics of Shiva are missing, instead there are statues and shrines of Christ’s family everywhere.

In case you get a fright, I haven’t been to the morgue, this pic was taken at the indo/Portuguese museum and was simply labeled “Dead Jesus”.


The people here are quite different, less exuberant and quite reserved… mind you if I had Dead Jesus in my home I’d probably be the same. On the up side, all the men are in mini-skirts!!!

I am off to the Lakshadweep Islands on 24th for a week, really looking forward to it as it is supposed to be like the Maldives only undeveloped… I must find an underwater camera.

No comments: