Friday 14 March 2008

India 12 - Uttaranchal, Haridwar

I decided it would be best to fly up north to Haridwar for a couple of nights avoiding my Pondicherry plans due to the increasing temperatures during the day.
Haridwar means the Gates of God and the Ghat here marks the exact spot where the river Ganges leaves the mountains, so it is a really busy pilgrimage site.

At night thousands of people turn out to watch the evening prayers when the priests perform with gongs, music and torches.

I was very happy to be back in the north with all the fun and bustle! The hotel I stayed at had a troop of monkeys marching around the roof and the woman in the room next to mine was feeding them bananas and oranges which I thought was great. But next morning my room was raided! Did I scream the place down or what???

No comments: