Saturday 23 February 2008

India 6 - Jaipur

I spent 2 days in Jaipur. The Pink City has been a bit of a disappointment to tell the truth. First of all, it is the most polluted city I have been in yet, the air is choking with fumes and dust

and secondly, the “Pink City” - which is actually different shades of smoked salmon - is a bit of a façade as far as experiencing the sights go…

I visited various places; the Hawa Mahal Palace was basically gutted, the City Palace with courtyards and gardens had good museum but is still used by the Royal Family so not much of it is available
and the polluted lake has a small palace which is currently being renovated.

So I took a few snaps and then went to see an Ayurvedic Doctor about taking a training course. This is a possibility for two weeks in March so I’ll think about that. While I was there I had a body massage, steam bath and head massage which was just great, however the herbs are not exactly your regular aromatherapy experience and I left smelling like a camel.

The other experience of Jaipur is the markets. This is where buyers come from round the world to purchase Indian goods, so after spending hours in only one market, I left with a couple of boxes of bangles, yet another silk scarf and a new outfit.

What I didn’t see was the Amber Fort - I didn’t leave enough time but will go there if I return.
So now I’ve done The Blue City (Jodhpur), The Golden City (Jaisalmer) and The Pink City (Jaipur).

No comments: