Saturday 12 January 2008

Barbados 7

Grey with intermittent showers lately… it’s given us a bit of time to do some other things. I gave Oli some driving lessons out of the way on the South of the island and later went to the drive in cinema to see Russell Crowe in The 3.10 to Yuma followed by Alien Vs Predator #2. Made us laugh that everyone toots their horns to express themselves at violence or humour. Loudest honking and calling occurred in AVP2 when someone said “…but the Government doesn’t lie…” The Bajans have a fantastic sense of humour.


Plus I thought I had finally making it with the Lear-Jet-Set this week, only to have my Scottish Karma rear it’s ugly head in the form of one Sally and her 2 year old daughter Iona. Sooey is acquainted with her from Glasgow and I politely invited her to meet me and Oli at the beach only to have her bellow loudly ‘Iona, IONA, come ‘ere will ya, do ya wanna get slapped?’ throughout the afternoon, finishing diva style on the steps of JuJu‘s before making a loud exit up the stairs… total silence while everyone examined their fingernails. I am dismayed.


Never mind, I did get a compliment from a man on the beach earlier this week who told me I had the BEST feet on the island. In retrospect I am suspicious that this may fall into the category of people who enthusiastically compliment you on the lovely quilt in your pram to avoid mentioning the ugly baby! But this evening, my feet and Oli are being taken for dinner by O’Neil the “Beach Manager” and afterwards to a Reggae Concert.

No comments: